Marriage Services

The Islamic Society provides the services to perform a Marriage Ceremony for Muslims according to both Islamic practice of marriage principles and Australian legal requirements and does NOT perform Islamic Marriages if the couple does NOT wish to register the marriage with the SA Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages.

When a couple has already decided to marry, they can arrange to have their marriage performed at the Mosque or a location of their choice in consultation with the Officiate who is authorised as a Marriage Celebrant by the Federal Attorney General’s department.

The following steps outline the procedure

Please note: Bookings must be made at least one month prior to the marriage date and that fees are to be discussed with the Officiate.

1. You will require the presence of two Muslim witnesses for the groom and a guardian for the bride. The ideal guardian for the bride is the father of the bride.

2.The groom and his family with consultation and approval of the bride and her family will offer in writing the Dowry recorded on the certificate of marriage.

3. The marriage details are recorded in a prescribed form and signed by the bride, the groom, guardian and witnesses. A copy of that certificate is provided to the bride and groom with an official marriage license.

4. Islamic Society will keep a copy marriage license as a record. The official license is then signed by the person performing the marriage and mailed to the SA Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages

Official Marriage Ceremony

The following is the requirements according to the SA Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages

A Notice of Intended Marriage Form must be lodged at least one month, and not more than eighteen months, before the marriage takes place, regardless of where you marry in Australia.

Upon lodging the Notice of Intended Marriage, the following documentation will need to be presented to the Marriage Celebrant by each party to the marriage:

•If born in Australia – Birth Certificate

•If born overseas – Birth Certificate or Passport from country of origin

•If previously married – Marriage certificate and Divorce papers (Decree Absolute), or Death Certificate (if previous spouse is deceased)

If any documentation is in a language other than English, you will be required to provide translated documents to the celebrant.

At least one of the following identity documents must be shown as evidence of your identity:

•a driver’s licence

•a proof of age/photo card

•an Australian or overseas passport, or

•a Certificate of Australian Citizenship along with another form of photographic evidence (such as a student card or other photo identification not listed above).

The Notice of Intended Marriage must be signed in the presence of one of the following:

If a party signs the notice in Australia:

•an authorised marriage celebrant, or

•a Commissioner for Declarations under the Statutory Declarations Act 1959,


•a Justice of the Peace, or

•a Barrister or Solicitor, or

•a legally qualified medical practitioner, or

•a member of the Australian Federal Police of the police force of a State or Territory.